Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What Is The Best Time Of Day To Run?

From Running Competitor online

What Is The Best Time Of Day To Run?

Updated: Mar 22nd 2011 12:15 PM UTC by Mario Fraioli

The short answer is late afternoon—unless you normally run at some other time.

A couple weeks ago I rolled out of bed on an uneventful Thursday morning and went for an easy 6-mile run on the bike path outside my apartment. I covered my usual out-and-back route in 45 minutes, which seems to be par for the course when I lace up the sneaks before noontime on a weekday. Four days later, in the early evening on Monday, I ran the exact same route at an equally easy effort and the watch read a few ticks over 42 minutes.

It was nearly a 3-minute improvement over the same course in similar conditions just a few days later, with the only discernible difference being the time of day I headed out for my run. Afterward, I stood in my driveway for a second wondering, “Did my fitness really improve that much over the weekend or are my workouts simply more effective later in the day?”

Read on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment