Monday, September 20, 2010

The Slow Run

From the NY Times online.
Happy to Be the Tortoise in the Race to Fitness
Brookside Drive, which begins in Millburn, N.J., is a favorite route for Sunday runners because it is free of car traffic.
By JOHN SCHWARTZ
Published: September 16, 2010
I RUN. Sort of.
By that I mean that although I run almost every day, calling what I do running is a bit of a stretch. Maybe it’s a plod or an exer-slog. Whatever it is, it’s anything but fleet.
I’ve gotten used to the fact that when I’m huffing and puffing my way along the road, anybody else who is running the same path is probably going to pass me. Graybeards pass me. Teenagers pass me. A pregnant runner has passed me. Once, on a blazing afternoon in Austin as I ran along Lady Bird Lake, I noticed that the two women who had just passed me were walking.
My son, who is a splendid athlete, went running with me precisely once. After less than a mile, he said, “Dad, I’m going to peel off now, because I want to, you know, run.”
Read on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment