Tuesday, November 1, 2011

How To Stay Warm In A Cold-Weather Marathon

Ive run 20 miles in below freezing temps with snow and ice on the ground while training for a marathon. Luckily I have never run one in below freezing temps. This comes out just before the NYC marathon

Tips for running in cold weather as New York City marathon approaches 

Keeping warm before the race is a way to stay safe on race day

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, October 31 2011, 1:07 PM

Dr. Maharam: This winter I plan on running races in Central Park put on by the New York Road Runners just about every weekend. I find myself shivering after the races, and am afraid I may eventually get hypothermic. As you have been at these races for years giving medical care, do you have any tips for us to stay healthy running in the cold? - Chad M., New York City

Thanks, Chad. I had been thinking about writing a cold-weather post since our Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas marathon and half-marathon are coming up the first weekend of December, bringing cooler, evening temperatures, not to mention Sunday’s New York City Marathon.

Your question now gives me the perfect set-up to go over cold weather running for this race and for the coming winter runs.

I do have some basic cold-weather tips. Please follow these guidelines for staying safe if race day is unusually cold and/or damp, and especially if there is wind. (All temperatures listed are Fahrenheit.)

Read on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment