Monday, February 6, 2012

Strategies for Doubling

Twice the runs in one day...

Strategies for Doubling
How two-a-days can benefit non-elites
By Steve Magness
As featured in the January 2012 issue of Running Times Magazine

When I started my coaching career I was forced into having athletes run twice a day during the school year because we were limited to running all mileage on a 1.25-mile loop. As my first athlete, a former 4:14 high school miler, Jeremy Warren likes to say, "We ran doubles because it is physically impossible to run more than five loops during one run without needing to see a psychiatrist afterwards." Given this situation, as a coach I quickly and almost accidently found the benefits of doubles, even for non-elite athletes. For most adult runners, however, doubles are a foreign concept, assumed to be the province only of those cranking out 100-mile weeks.

I would like to convince you to think otherwise. Intelligently adding some double days to your program can help advance your fitness, even if you wind up not significantly increasing your mileage.

Read on here<http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=24901>.

No comments:

Post a Comment