Monday, January 16, 2012

Relishing Relays

From Running Times online…

Relishing Relays
Running from Miami to Key West with a bunch of like-minded runners
By Adam W. Chase
As featured in the Web Only issue of Running Times Magazine

I was never a real Dead Head and didn't even count as a legitimate Phish Head because I was already devoted enough to running that inhalation wasn't going to happen, despite my attending some awesome Dead and Phish concerts. I can always recall my experiences at those shows as one of awe. "Wow" – which is a mandatory expression for Dead and Phish Heads, I affirm – I thought to myself, "there are people like me." Until then I had always thought of myself as somewhat of an odd anomaly. 


At the Ragnar Relay 2012 kick-off event on Jan. 6-7 in the beautiful Florida Keys, I got to witness thousands of people who had flocked there to experience that same initiation, that same compelling sense of belonging and almost addictive emotional attachment of like-minded runners who were embracing their passion in zany yet athletic ways. Many came from cities, suburbs and towns where running is considered abnormal behavior and so being surrounded by so many runners and in a team setting was almost overwhelming, as evidenced by the elated expressions and permanent smiles they wore.

Read on here<http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=25028>.

No comments:

Post a Comment