Thursday, January 5, 2012

Rent Space on Nick Symmonds on eBay

I found this on Runners World online and it shows the challenges of being an elite runner where your fulltime job is being a runner. Not all elites are sponsored and I can only guess at the dollars that are provided to them if they are sponsored.

You Can Rent Space on Nick Symmonds on eBay
The four-time USA 800-meter titleist and 2008 Olympian is the most vocal and visible presence in the movement to enable elite athletes to wear additional sponsor logos on their running (or jumping or throwing) uniforms. Now Symmonds takes his case to eBay, where he is offering space on his left shoulder; throughout 2012, he'll wear a temporary tattoo of the Twitter name of the highest bidder of his auction at eBay. The price was north of $1,000 when we posted this - it's probably higher now, and you have until January 14 to bid.

"Should the winner of this auction be a corporation, I will wear its Twitter name on my left shoulder when allowed to do so by governing bodies and, after reviewing the quality of the corporation's products, endorse them entirely provided my endorsement does not conflict with any of my current sponsors," Nike and Melaleuca, Nick Symmonds explains on eBay. "Along with this valuable advertising space (4.7 billion viewers during 2008 Olympic Games), I will tweet a message of support for the auction winner on the first of every month during 2012 from my personal Twitter account, @nsymm800, which currently has over 4500 followers." Symmonds does make clear "I will be forced to cover up the temporary tattoo with tape at all IAAF governed meetings. I will, however, have the tattoo on under the tape and will remove the tape as soon as the rules permit. In all interviews conducted before and after the event I will mention the sponsor's Twitter name and why it has been covered during competition."

A bold stratagem. This fellow Symmonds has True Grit, and audacity. "This is something I've discussed on runs with athletes for a long time. This is one of the '7 different types of smoke' I said I am going to throw at this problem (sponsorship issues). It's a way that corporations and fans can take action in this fight. I hope that a fan wins, and it's his Twitter handle on my arm," Symmonds told our colleague Jon Gugala. "I'm excited to see what a couple square inches on my shoulder is worth." Symmonds adds "the purpose is to bring awareness to athletes' sponsorship issues. The money will be used to continue training toward my goal of the 2012 Olympics. My goal is to eat only organic food for the year, and I've got a half-gallon milk habit per day - it's more expensive than gas. But I'm doing this (organic food) so that people can see my commitment to medal in 2012." Isn't there at least a reality TV show for this guy? (photo of Nick Symmonds by Victah Sailer) More<http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180789582037>

Read on here<http://racingnews.runnersworld.com/2012/01/january-5-you-can-rent-space-on-nick-symmonds-the-ones-to-watch-at-olympic-marathon-trials-a-208-marathon-for-fernando-cabada-lisa-dobriskeys-sheer-embarrassment-san-antonio-l.html>.

No comments:

Post a Comment