Wednesday, September 2, 2009

ORC v. Food

Taking a cue from Adam Richman's show on the Travel Channel Man v. Food.  I was travelling to Minneapolis and all I could think of was taking on some of the challenges and food opportunities featured in the Minneapolis episode.

First on the food opportunity was a Jucy Lucy at Matt's Bar.  The home that I was staying at was only 2 blocks away.  So Friday night I made my way over to Matt's Bar.  To my surprise there was a line out the door and a 30 minute wait.  Seriously, half an hour to try a hamburger that I saw on TV.  It's no ordinary hamburger.  This one is special to Minneapolis.  It is 2 burger patties flattened together with a chunk of cheese in between.  I was going to wait.

I ordered 2 Jucy Lucy's (and by the way, that's how Matt's Bar spells Jucy) and a half order of fries which was as big as a full order.  I was sitting next to the grill and upon being served, the cook suggested I let the burger cool a little bit or risk molten cheese burning my mouth.  The wait was well worth it from the time in line to letting the burger cool.

jucylucy1.jpgjucylucy2.jpg

Next was the challenge, the Meterbratwurst from Gasthof Zur Gemutlichkeit.  Basically it a meter of Bratwurst; that's 3 feet.  Both sides have to be finished also, my choices were rice and saurkraut.  I wanted to finish the meal so my server Daniel helped me out with the choices of sides.  The potato options would have been tasty but filling so I had to skip those.  3 feet of Bratwurst may not sound like much to some, but it was a tough eat.  The first 2 feet flew by but that last foot was pretty hard to swallow (pun intended).

In the end I finished the Meterbratwurst in 17 minutes.  Adam Richman finished his in 31 minutes.  To celebrate I ordered a Sundae which the other diners around me were amazed I was still hungry after eating a meter worth of sausage.  How did they know I just ate a meter of sausage?  At the end of your conquest the server announces to the whole restaurant your accomplishment then you get your cheers.  Here's how the cheers went.

Server: Ziggy Zaggy Ziggy Zaggy Ziggy Zaggy

Everyone: Oui Oui Oui

Repeat twice more, getting louder each time!

That was pretty awesome!!!

Before: meterbrat2.jpg After: meterbrat3.jpg

Minneapolis is super nice and the friendliest people I have ever met while travelling.  This is why I run.  I run to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment