Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Running Shoes Experts Wear

The Running Shoes Experts Wear
from thatsfit.com


Posted on Feb 24th 2010 3:30PM by Jennifer Fields

Your shoes are probably the single most important piece of equipment for running. They can help or hinder your runs and can go a long way toward preventing injuries and optimizing performance. No single brand or make of shoe will work for everyone, but with so many choices out there at a wide range of price points that claim to meet all kinds of biomechanical needs, it can be a bit overwhelming. What do the experts choose for their runs? Read on to find out.


"My favorite running shoe is the Reebok Premier Verona KFS (Kinetic Fit System). I love the shoe mainly for its fit and the heel to toe transition. The Verona is a lightweight trainer with a mid-sole density perfect for both lower and higher mileage training programs. It is also light enough that runners would feel very comfortable racing in it in events from the 5K to the marathon. The KFS also does a nice job of securing the mid-foot in the bed of the shoe, so there is no slipping on the heel or the forefoot."

-- Pete Rea, elite athlete coach, ZAP Fitness Team USA Distance Running Center

"My current favorites are the Nike Free and the Nike Lunaracer. I like the Free because it feels so much like barefoot running. They are "barely there" on my foot -- light, flexible, and non-confining. (I'm actually still wearing the discontinued Nike Free 3.0, which is more minimalist than the current 5.0 v4.) The Lunaracer is technically a racing shoe but I do a fair amount of training in it. It's even lighter than the Free but has a remarkable amount of cushioning for such a light shoe, and although my running shoe preferences are generally minimalistic, my foot is most comfortable with a little cushioning underneath it."
-- Matt Fitzgerald, senior online producer for RunNow.com and author of numerous books for endurance athletes, including "Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance"

"My favorite running shoe is the Nike Air Pegasus. I have been wearing the Pegasus since 1985 and have probably worn out 50 to 75 pairs. I like the Pegasus, first because my foot type is slightly curved with a moderate arch and the Pegasus matches my foot shape perfectly. Second, Nike has kept this shoe essentially the same for decades so I can confidently buy a new pair and rely on its fit and performance. Third, I like the Pegasus for the durability. The air pocket is a more durable cushioning material than EVA products so I can get more miles for my dollar. The Pegasus also has a forefoot air pocket that is great fore mid and forefoot strikers."
-- Bryan Whitesides, physical therapist in Colorado who founded the Web site, InjuredRunner.com

"I use the Avia Avi-Lite II running shoe. I love them because they are very lightweight, but still give good support for my neutral foot type. You can find great deals online to purchase this shoe. I like the entire Avia line."

-- Dr. Robert Sallis, co-director of the Sports Medicine Fellowship at Kaiser Permanente Fontana Medical Center and spokesperson for the American College of Sports Medicine


"I run in several muddy pairs of Brooks (Adrenaline and Defyance). I find running shoe preferences are very personal and it's well worth the time and energy to go to a good running store where they will evaluate you and let you test out shoes. With all the snow we've had in the D.C. area, I'm currently looking into running snowshoes which let you burn calories and enjoy the fresh air while preventing cabin fever."

-- Carol Torgan, Ph.D., health scientist and consultant in the Washington, D.C. area and a representative of the American College of Sports Medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment