Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tortillas is back … sort of

This is a great article I found in the Creative Loaf, Omnivore Atlanta blog.  I am/was a big fan of Tortillas back in the day so to see it come back (well sort of) is pretty cool.


Tortillas is back … sort of

February 2nd, 2010 by Cliff Bostock in Food & Life, Restaurants

Missy Babcock writes this exciting news:

After just having ingested exact replicas of the original Tortillas’ burrito, salsa, chips and guac, I felt compelled to give you this story tip.

There’s a guy on Facebook who is attempting to replicate Tortillas’ menu and do home delivery service within 2 miles of downtown Decatur. He’s been at it for many months, and I finally heeded one of his emails for home delivery today. And it’s right on. Check it out. It is legit. “West End Burritos: For Those Who Miss Tortillas.”


The guy is Matt Hinton; his business is West End Burritos and his Facebook page says this:

“Hello all:


Morehouse College (where I am semi-employed as an adjunct professor of Religion) has decided to reduce the hours of all adjunct professors. This means that I have lost half of my already meager income as of last week [Update: I also didn't get the classes I normally teach during the Summer]. So in the interest of providing for my family, I’m going to go ahead and do something I’ve kinda wanted to do for some time…


If you ever went to Tortillas on Ponce before they closed, you know that they had the best burritos in Atlanta. Well, I have finally, after much trial and error, come VERY close (95%) to an exact replica of some of their most popular items, including both the red and green sauces. I will begin offering Tortillas style burritos and other sundries (see attached menu) next week which I will deliver to you!


HERE’S HOW IT WORKS: Each Monday [Update: Tuesdays to be added soon], I will make a delivery run from Downtown Decatur to West End. If you live within 2 miles or so of this route, you are eligible for delivery. I will deliver to your door or leave it on your stoop. Deliveries will occur from approx. 4-6:30, so every Monday can be Burrito night. Or else, you can order a quantity of burritos to get you through the week. Prices are on the attached menu and include delivery. You may pay upon delivery or once a month (The Monthly Plan would include the same meal each week, payable at the beginning of each month).


Please help my family and your tummy (believe me, it’s exciting to eat one of these things again…). Also, it’s nice to have one less meal to plan and cook each week.


Just send me an email with your order (and whether you intend to do The Monthly Plan) and your address and your phone # and you’ll be eating burritos next Monday. Please be specific in your order (e.g. don’t say “and maybe throw in a little cheese dip”– this kind of thing is hard to interpret. Please look over the menu and phrase your orders employing the nomenclature established on the menu).


The price on the menu includes delivery, but tips are super-welcome.


**This service is in no way formally connected to Tortillas. Think of us as a cover band. But for burritos.

His e-mail is info@awakemysoul.com and his phone is 404-918-4914. You can click here to check out the menu.

I was a huge fan of Tortillas and, unfortunately, what I most miss is not on the menu here — shrimp with green sauce, red beans and green chilies. But I can’t wait to try this and it will feel good to help out yet another under-employed adjunct professor.

No comments:

Post a Comment