Thursday, March 25, 2010

Baconfest offers meaty helping of bacon, beer and bands

I thought this was interesting enough to post, from the AJC.
Baconfest offers meaty helping of bacon, beer and bands
By Bob Townsend
For the AJC
Like any clever improvisational comedy bit, Baconfest began as the germ of a crazy idea. But a decade on, the “Three Bs” celebration of bacon, beer and bands is still the biggest annual fundraiser for Inman Park’s Dad’s Garage Theatre Company.
Dad's Garage Baconfest is the biggest annual fundraiser for Dad’s Garage Theatre Company.
March 27 marks the 10th anniversary of Baconfest. And the tongue-in-cheek spirit of the anti-foodie event isn’t lost on Kevin Gillese, Dad’s new artistic director.
During a recent call from a concourse restaurant at Los Angeles International Airport, Gillese suddenly proclaimed that he was “chewing on a bacon cheeseburger and chugging a beer.”
“I thought I might as well pay homage to the upcoming fest,” he allowed.
Gillese, who moved to Atlanta in January, is from Canada, where he was the artistic director of Rapid Fire Theatre in Edmonton and one half of the improv duo Scratch. But he’s been performing at Dad’s since 2000, he said.
“This will be my first Baconfest,” Gillese said. “I feel like this event is catered to what I would be indulging in anyway. But I do have trouble deciding if it’s like heaven or hell. Basically, I’m looking forward to drinking beer and listening to rad bands while I stuff my face with unhealthy meat products.”
Mike LaSage, the sous chef at nearby P’cheen restaurant, is among the volunteers offering their talents to Baconfest. The self-described “bacon fanatic” will be playing with his band, Mike LaSage and the Stumbling Troubadours, and offering up samples of the jalapeno-infused bacon he makes at P’cheen.
“Bacon has been one my favorite foods pretty much all my life,” LaSage said one afternoon in a call from the kitchen at P’cheen. “I’ve played the festival a couple of times, and I’m really excited about serving my bacon. It’s my version of Christmas. I love it that much.”
VIP ticket holders can sample LaSage’s bacon, as well as such treats as Sublime Doughnuts’ bacon and maple doughnuts and locally cured bacon from Pine Street Market in Decatur.
Featured bands include the Fingering Brothers, Bases Loaded, The Jaguars, and Nine Inch Neils. And the games and attractions — Hunt an Improviser, Redneck Wine Tasting, and Dr. Boobies — are in synch with Dad’s reputation for outrageous comedy.
This year, Gillese is charged with putting together the improv show that closes out the afternoon’s off-kilter festivities.
“All of the performers will be drinking beer and eating bacon like everyone else,” Gillese said. “So I anticipate an improv show that’s even more over the edge than usual.”
Not quite being serious for a second, Gillese said that events like Baconfest are what keep the doors open at Dad’s Garage.
“Part of the reason for Dad’s success is that it’s hitched its wagon to one of the unshakable truths of modern society: People love bacon, beer and bands. It’s probably why Dad’s is still around today.”
Event preview:
Dad’s Garage Baconfest.
Saturday. Tickets: $45, $35, $15. 280 Elizabeth St. N.E., Atlanta, 404-523-3141, www.dadsgarage.com

No comments:

Post a Comment