Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Earbuds in Arkansas

From the Arkansas News online

Senator pulls plug on bill banning earbuds

Posted on 25 January 2011

Arkansas News Bureau

LITTLE ROCK — Less than a week after filing a bill to bar the use of earbuds while jogging or walking, a state senator has pulled the plug.

Sen. Jimmy Jeffress, D-Crossett, said he filed Senate Bill 80 because he believes listening to audio in isolation while jogging or walking is a hazard and makes pedestrians more prone to accidents.

The senator says all he wanted to do was get lawmakers talking about the issue.

“I just wanted to get a good dialogue on it and I was successful beyond my wildest dreams, but it wasn’t what I intended,” he said today.

Jeffress said that since filing the bill on Jan. 19, he has received media requests for interviews from news outlets across the United States and some in Europe.

“I got e-mails from people in Arkansas who were opposed to it,” he said. “I wanted to get it in committee and talk about it but I think we’ve had enough of a dialogue … I’m ready for the e-mails to stop.”

He withdrew the bill today.

Read it here.

1 comment:

  1. As learning professionals, our clients---our fellow workers---will be more and more confused and duped by information overload. To be successful, we'll have to figure out ways to help them fight their way through the accelerating storm of information.

    ReplyDelete