Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Motivation Tips

From Running Times online

Tips to Harness Motivation

What top sports psychologists teach the pros

By Amy Reinink

As featured in the Web Only issue of Running Times Magazine

It’s a phenomenon every runner has experienced: Some training sessions, you feel motivated, energetic and capable of pushing your body to its limits. Other days, you barely feel inspired enough to plod through a recovery run.

Sports psychologists say low-motivation days are no accident, and say negative thoughts can stymie motivation and jeopardize performance, for pros and weekend warriors alike.

“I think every athlete has those moments of doubt,” says 10,000m American record-holder Shalane Flanagan, who worked with sports psychologist Greg Dale while running cross country and track at University of North Carolina. “My doubts are usually along the lines of, ‘Maybe I’m not fit enough or strong enough to do this.’”

Flanagan combats those motivation-zappers with visualization exercises, including one she calls upon often frequently during tough workouts.

“I’ll pretend I’m grinding out the last 600 against the top Ethiopian runners,” Flanagan says. “I just visualize running against them, and getting that fast time, or winning the race, during a workout, and it gives me that little boost of motivation.”

Read on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment