Monday, June 20, 2011

Why Run?

From Running Times online

A Father's Day Tribute

A lifelong runner discovers one of her primary reasons for running

By Jessica Nelson

As featured in the Web Only issue of Running Times Magazine

It always amazes me when people ask me why I run. My coworkers, my friends, even some of my family members don’t completely understand it. “Why do you run so much?” or “It’s boring … how can you stand to do that every day?” Or, my personal favorite, “Why do you run? I don’t get it.”

 

I never know how to answer when people ask me these things, because, if you have to ask that question of a runner, then you really won’t understand the answer that comes with it. It’s not to say anyone is inferior if they aren’t a runner or don't understand the passion of running. Not everyone can do it or even gets it, and that makes it unique. Running is very personal, yet it can be social, it’s stress relieving, and can be competitive when desired. It can encompass the being of who we are as people, and it can run through the fabric of our entire lives. But explaining why we run can be complicated. And how many of us really know why we run in the first place?

Read on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment